Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

 10 Ways to Beat Insomnia

I haven't posted for 10 on Tuesday for the last couple weeks because, well, embarrassingly I forgot that it was Tuesday!  This week's topic though really caught my attention because I do suffer from insomnia from time to time and it's frustrating as H E double hockey sticks.  I'm hoping there will be lots of great tips shared because I could use some new tricks to try.  Here are a few of my tips.....

1. Advil PM.  I know some people say it leaves them feeling sluggish the next day.  If I take it before midnight I'm usually OK the next day.
2. Mind numbing TV.  I do have a TV in my bedroom.  I know the "experts" advise against it, but sometimes it's just white noise.  If I've been awake in the middle of the night for more than an hour, a little bad TV can take my mind off of whatever is on my mind so that I can quiet it and drop back to sleep.
3. Fan. Sometimes it's white noise, sometimes it's a necessary cooling device.  (I'm in my mid-40's.  Need I say more?)
4. No caffeine after lunch. This can be a tough one because caffeine is often an additive in places you wouldn't expect it.
5. No liquids after dinner.  You know, to reduce the middle of the night bathroom trips.
6. Kick the dog off the bed. The big one takes up too much space, the little one prefers to sleep under the covers, which makes me hot because she also likes to snuggle, and lick the bottom of my feet.  I blame my husband.  He's the softie who let them on the bed in the first place!

Now I'm out of ideas.  I actually bought some Sleepy Time Tea to try, so maybe I should call this #7, but my sister-in-law told me the only thing that did for her was wake her up more often to pee!  Counter-productive, so I've been hesitant to try it.

What do you do to combat Insomnia?  I'd love to hear your ideas! 

1 comment: