Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Birthday Blessings

Today is my Birthday and it could easily have been a really crappy day. I began Chemo week 11 today.  I think it's safe to say that most people would rather do literally anything other than receive chemo on their birthday.  The side effects of my treatment are cumulative so I know I'm beginning what is going to be a tough few days, or four or five crappy days.  This morning I was planning a blog post about what I'm really struggling with and missing.  And then this beautiful, love filled day unfolded, and I was reminded how blessed and lucky I am, so I'm going to save that crabby post for another time!

Here is a little glimpse of what my day looked like.  I decided I deserved to start a new knitting project, something fresh and fun in spring colors.  This is a shawlette in a new baby alpaca/cotton blend from Manos del Uruguay.  It will be perfect to wrap around my neck on days it is a little chilly.  This is what I worked on during my treatment today.
Tom was working in the area today, so he brought me a sandwich from D'Angelos for lunch.  After lunch my nurse brought me this fabulous cupcake, a card from all the staff, and a gift certificate to Olive Garden from a local Breast Cancer Support Organization!  I was so surprised!  These lovely ladies take care of me in some way almost everyday of the week and they all played dumb pretty well most of the day, even though I get asked a bazillion times when I'm there "What's your name and date of birth?"  Pretty special :-)
When I got home I found this stunning flower arrangement from Debbi and Marcy, Knitters that I met at Sock Camp a few years ago.  They are fun and special ladies and I am so honored to call them my friends.  Thank you again Deb and Marcy for the flowers.  They really made my day :-)
And then I found this fabulous cake, baked by my dear friend and neighbor Kris and her daughter Megan.  Megan is my kid-next-door who cut and donated her hair when I lost mine.  I have a very special place in my heart for that kid :-)  It's about time to cut into this.  rumor has it that there is caramel in the middle. Mmmmm!
I've also been overwhelmed by all the birthday wishes on Facebook, email, and phone calls.  I feel very special and loved today.  Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for making today truly special. I'm a lucky lady and I'm going to do my best to remember how you have all made me feel today and carry this feeling with me over the next year :-)

5 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday Dianne! Sorry I missed it but I'm so glad you had a good day in spite of all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you, your friends and family made it a special day! My belated birthday wish is that your tough and/or crappy days are as few and far between as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy belated birthday to you!! I'm glad you were spoiled on your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your attitude! Happy Birthday!! (a day late, but heartfelt, nonetheless). Keep the feeling of the love that is yours in your heart everyday. May it keep the crappy days from becoming overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy eats, gorgeous flowers and knitting! Have a happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete