Friday, December 16, 2011

It's Here!

*** Warning - RSC and Cookie A Sock Club Spoilers below ***

Christmas came early this week in the form of yarn!  In July my LYS, Spinning Yarns, had a special on Madelinetosh yarns.  We could special order any of their yarn bases, with a minimum of 4 skeins, and it would be 20% off.  We could also double dip with our frequent buyer card, which gave me an additional discount.  I also saved a gift certificate I had received for my birthday that spring to put toward my special order.  The end result when I put it all together, was a 50% out of pocket savings for me :-)  I picked out Tosh Vintage in Composition Book Grey for a Dark and Stormy Cardigan.  Margot called earlier this week to let me know that the 10 skeins I ordered finally arrived!
It's an interesting color!  I ordered it based on the picture on the website.  When I pulled it out of the bag I was surprised to see the purplish undertone, but when I took it outside into natural daylight it became a true grey.  I'm considering changing my plan and making a Vodka Gimlet instead with it.  I won't cast on until after Christmas, so I still have plenty of time to obsess about it.

While I was at the LYS picking this up I also picked up a couple more yarns "for gift knitting" :-)  First is Berrocco's Vintage Chunky.  I actually did start a new hat with this today. 
I also got 2 skeins of Classic Elite's Lush for a Brookfield Cowl.  I think it will work well. I'm just a little nervous that the Angora halo may overpower the stitch definition.  It will feel nice against the skin though!
I also stumbled upon a great deal on a destash on Ravelry that I couldn't pass up.  Madelinetosh tosh dk, in this gorgeous Logwood color for $8.50.  I looked at it 6 times thinking it had to be a typo.  It's $19.50 at the LYS.  Well, not a typo so I bought it.  It arrived in yesterday's mail and it is gorgeous!  I think it's going to become a hat for me.  Or mittens.
Last week I said I would show the November Rockin Sock Club yarn this week.  Here it is, Comfort & Joy!  It's such a happy color!  I've liked all the colors this year, but this one is my favorite from 2011.
Look at the colors all mixed together in the emergency skein.  Love,Love, Love!
Sign-ups for the 2012 Club are in January.  I'll be signing up again for sure.  I'm not sure how Tina can top this year's colors and patterns, but I know I'll continue to be amazed!

The last yarn that arrived this week is from the Cookie A Sock Club for December.  The yarn is Bugga!  I love the green and purple together.  I haven't gotten the pattern packet yet.  If you've not heard, Cookie's Mother passed away, so understandably she needed to leave town unexpectedly to travel to Thailand to be with family.  To add to her family's difficult time, her family's home was damaged by the severe recent flooding in Thailand.  If you'd like to read Cookie's note about this, it's in the announcements thread of the Sock Club group on Ravelry.  There is also a thread to leave your condolences if you are so moved.
Anyway, Cookie is a designing genius, so I can't wait to see what she designed to go with this colorway! 

1 comment: