10 Favorite Holiday Traditions
Holiday traditions, we all have them. Some are obvious choices because we make a point to do it each year, or holiday, and some just happen because "That's what we do". I wonder though, are the favorites traditions the ones by choice or the ones by happenstance because it just wouldn't be Christmas without it.
1. Tagging and cutting a tree. Although my boys moan and groan every year about doing this, I suspect they would be secretly disappointed if they ever came home and a tree had magically appeared without a trip to the tree farm.
2. Holiday Movies. Our family favorite is Scrooged. It never gets old for any of us and we usually watch it together the day we decorate the tree. My favorite line is Carol Kane as the Ghost of Christmas Present... "It's a party! I'm so glad I wore my pretty dress!" If you've not seen this movie, here is the trailer for it.
3. Ornaments. This is a traditions my mother started when I was a child. I buy each of my boys an ornament each year. When they have a home of their own, hopefully they will have a nice start to some decorations with some memories to go with them.
4.Christmas Sweaters. I actually have 7 of them. There. I admitted it. I am one of those crazy ladies you see at the mall, shopping in their Christmas sweater the day after Thanksgiving :-)
5. Book Group Christmas Party. My good friend Kate's house is Christmas-palooza and she hosts our December gathering every year. We had our party this past Friday night, complete with Reindeer Games. It is always such a great time and I truly treasure the wonderful friendships I've made and expanded through this group.
6. Christmas Cards. I love receiving them, especially the photo cards.
7. Fudge. I love it. A little too much, so I only make once a year for Christmas.
8. Tournament of Roses Parade. I am always amazed at what the float designers come up with! I watch it every year.
9. Bowl Games. We've always enjoyed football, but over the last few years we have really become big fans of College Football. My middle son attends the University of Alabama, so we're particularly excited about the BCS Championship game this year. Roll Tide!
10. Snow Village. We really got into this several years ago. I honestly don't even know how many houses we have now, and accessory pieces. I can tell you though that our collection is way to large to display together, so it is scattered throughout our entire house. It takes a couple days to set up and we leave it up, usually until sometime in February.
These are some of my favorites. What are yours?