Monday, April 30, 2012


The last time I posted I said that I would probably focus on my Firestarter sock so that I could hopefully finish it before the end of the month.  I did it!  I finished these Saturday night and was able to take a couple pictures on Sunday.  I had started this pattern before and ripped it out because I couldn't quite get it right.  I'm not sure why I was so intimidated by the pattern.  Once I decided that I WAS going to make these for the March Sock Knitters Anonymous cable challenge I conquered it!  I did make one modification by using Judy's Magic Cast On for the toe instead of the provisional cast on, but that was it.
Here's a close-up of the gusset and heel.  I love the simple cable along the side of the foot and how it splits for the gusset expansion.  If I make these again or another Yarnissima pattern, I will shorten the gusset by an increase or two.  These are just a smidge longer than I would  like.
I decided to use the Russian Bind Off.  Thank you Jennifer for the suggestion!  I checked my Wendy Johnson book and she had great instructions for this bind off.  Plus I really like how the finished edge sits right on top of the cuff, there's no slant to it at all and it has the perfect amount of stretch.
Here are the final details:
Pattern: Firestarter by Yarnissima
Yarn: Socks That Rock lightweight, color is Beached
Needles: 2.25mm for foot & 2.5mm for leg
Mods: Judy's Magic Cast On instead of provisional

1 comment:

  1. Just love those socks! I may have to try them one day ;)