Monday, September 24, 2012

Que Sera

I have loved this sweater ever since it's debut in Knitty.com Spring/Summer 2010 issue.  It is so pretty! I used the recommended yarn which is Blue Sky Alpacas Worsted Cotton.  My LYS, Spinning Yarns, carries it so I was able to see so many of the colors in person and pick the best color for me.  I chose color #634, periwinkle blue, which looks great with dress slacks or jeans and a t-shirt.  Perfect!
(Sexy model shot on my dining room chair :-) The gratuitous bathroom mirror shot would scare small children!)

This was the first time that I have sewn in cap sleeves.  I was a little nervous about it, but they came out great!  Look at that beautiful smooth seam!
I had a little challenge with buttons too.  I wanted something with a vintage look to it.  I first picked out the bottom button, but once I sewed them on I discovered that there were a smidge too small and they would not stay fastened.  So I went to JoAnn's and found a couple more choices.  I decided on the middle button.  I love how the white pops and they just seem to have the perfect vintage look that I was hoping for. (Click on pictures to embiggen)
I learn something new with every big project that I do.  On this sweater, as well as seaming cap sleeves, I learned how to "maintain lace pattern" while shaping.  That learning curve required some ripping and re-knitting, but now I have a great understanding of matching yo's with decreases and can see it without having to count!  I also learned that I need to take a class in "fit to flatter".  This ended up too long.  It would fit better if it was 2 inches shorter and I am already taking that into consideration with my next sweater projects.  More on those soon!

2 comments:

  1. I was wondering about shaping in lace pattern. Love the buttons you chose. Bummer about the length though. Hoping you can still wear it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous sweater Diane! Just lovely. Great choice of buttons too:)

    ReplyDelete