Friday, April 22, 2011

Flint

Finally, I  have finished Flint!  It seems that I have been talking about this sweater for a long time.  In fact it's been nearly 3 months that this project has been on my needles.  Considering that this is a club with a new pattern released quarterly, I guess that means I was right on schedule even though I got a late start.

There are so many things that I love about this sweater.  First is the overall design.  A simple stockinette body with lace details.  I think this makes it both casual and dressy.  I'll be comfortable wearing this with jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt, or with slacks and a blouse, or as a light sweater with a skirt or dress.  It's very versatile.
It has very simple,clean lines.
It's knit top down with raglan sleeves.  The pattern directions were great and the increases worked in beautifully.
I love that the sleeve is lace and yet the cuff has a stockinette band that anchors it and also ties it in to the body of the sweater.
The body has a beautiful lace panel at the bottom.  It adds interest and ties it to the sleeve pattern.
I also learned a couple new techniques.  The hem may be the slickest knitting thing I've done so far. See how crisp the edge is?  It was created by knitting a purl row followed by a few rows of stockinette.
I then folded it on the purl ridge and sewed it down using live stitches and purl bumps.  See how clean it is?  I've never had an easier time determining the first stitch in the row, it doesn't use a lot of yarn, and you can adjust the tension for the amount of give you want.  I can see using this hem on a sock cuff as well.
I also learned how to do applied i-cord.  I think it's the perfect edge detail for this sweater.
The only adjustment I made was across the back.  The directions suggested picking up 2 stitches for every 3 stitches.  That was too tight for me, so I ripped back and picked up 3 for every 4 stitches.  I still have just a smidgeon of a ripple.  If I were to make this sweater again I would probably pick up a few more stitches across the back, but that's it.
The sweater still needs a soak and light blocking, but I am just so happy to be done and pleased with how it came out, I couldn't wait to take some pictures and share it!

Here are the Details....
Pattern: Flint by Samantha Roshak
Yarn: Woobu
Color: In the Navy
Needle: Size 6
Start Date: January 21
Finished: April 22
Mods: None other than small adjustment to number of stitches picked up for applied i-cord

Happy Easter this weekend!  I hope you experience great Faith and Hope.  And I hope the bunny is good to you too :-)

3 comments: