Wednesday, November 9, 2011

There's Alpacas over there!

Gosh it's been awhile since I last blogged! I'm not sure where the time went, but I certainly have been busy.  One of the things that I've done over the last few weeks is visit a local Alpaca farm!  Sallie's Fen Alpacas is only a 20 minute drive from my home.  I've seen some of their yarns in other local businesses but didn't realize they were located so close to me.  My neighbors Molly and Holly wanted to go and asked me to join them. Off we went on a crappy rainy day, but that didn't lessen our fun.

We met the boys, who were very curious about us.  Mostly I think they were looking to see if we had food buckets with us.
Then we went to the other side of the farm and met the girls and the babies.  Do you see that little one peeking around the big one?  She was so cute!
No food?  You're dead to me.
We were fascinated by the range of colors of their coats.
These girls weren't that interested in us as their feed trough had just been filled.
This girl really interested us with her mix of colors.  Her belly area was quite brown, her back is black, and yet her muzzle is white.  We asked if she was perhaps older and hence the white muzzle? Nope.  It's just her unique coloring.
This farm also does a lot of milling and processes fleece into commercially spun yarn.  It's quite an impressive set up, but we were not there at a good time to get a tour of that facility.  Perhaps next time.  They are having an open house Thanksgiving weekend.  We did go into their small shop though and did a little shopping.  I picked out this 4 ply worsted yarn.  There's only about 150 yds, but I think it will be enough for a pair of Maine Morning Mitts.
Do you have any ideas what I can do with 150 yds of worsted weight?

1 comment:

  1. What fun! The tour could be interesting if you can attend. We have a few farms around here and hoping to visit in the future. I did get some fleece last week from one of them.

    That is a yummy skein of yarn. Hmmm...the mitts are a good idea, but if it's as soft as I think, I'd want it around my neck ;)

    ReplyDelete